Sunday, January 18, 2009

Bread-making and thoughts of Dad & Mom

Last week, I did something I've not done for a long time. I made bread! It felt SO good. That may sound strange to some, but let me give you a little history...

I've been making bread since I was nine-years-old. My mother taught me early and taught me well. When I was ten, Mom entered her bread in the county fair, and won best of show. The following year, I did the same thing with the same results. Talk about bragging rights for an eleven-year-old!

I won't say that I've always enjoyed bread-making. I remember going through a phase of being absolutely terrified of our electric wheat grinder and dreading having to turn the thing on. In fact, at one point I dreaded it so much that Mom had to literally command me to turn it on and I said, "I can't."

For those of you who knew me as a young girl, you know that blatant rejection of parental instruction was not common for me. So this reaction to Mom's command should demonstrate just how fearful I was. I vividly remember Mom seizing the opportunity to teach me about submission and specifically recall her explaining that submission isn't a reaction that requires understanding, but rather requires faith. Wow...practical homemaking skills and training for marriage all rolled into one setting!

I have lots of memories connected to bread-making, including my dad's compliments. He especially liked it when I'd make white bread. Dad frequently told us the story of his great-grandmother making treats for him and each of his brothers. Dad's brothers enjoyed the sweets she would make; but Daddy's favorite was her white bread. And, WOW, how proud and special it made me feel when he'd tell me that my bread was just like hers. Okay, I'm choking up, no kidding - it's amazing how we cherish our parents' approval, even once we're married!

As a busy mom, bread-making has taken a back-burner position in my life. Little ones need lots of attention and bread is fairly cheap. But last week I simply couldn't resist. I pulled my Bosch out of the cupboard and went to work.

Honour and Remember were eager to help. As you can see in the above picture, my little girl couldn't resist that warm, squishy dough. I must say, it was absolutely thrilling having her with me as I formed the rolls and dreamed of one day teaching her how to make the perfect loaf, as my mother had taught me over a decade ago.

As many of you know, Dad and Mom are presently in Rochester, Minnesota at the Mayo Clinic. Dad has had one procedure performed on his intestines, and a second procedure is scheduled for tomorrow morning. Hopes are high that this procedure will allow him to receive his food naturally again and free him from his reliance on IV nutrition.

You have no idea what your prayers have meant to us over the last eight months. It is amazing to me that so many people are aware of this situation and are continuing to stay updated on Dad's progress. God has been glorified in so many ways through all of this, and particularly through the way the Body of Christ has ministered to our family. We are eager to see how he will work in the coming days, weeks and months. Please continue checking the CaringBridge website where Mom is posting regularly. And please continue praying!

Dad and Mom - I LOVE YOU!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK Jessica...you definately made me cry on this one! Keep up the good work :) I'm sure Ransom appreciated the bread too !
Love you much!
Heather

Naomi T. said...

praying for you! Thanks for sharing this... it made me get a big teary-eyed. Sweet. ::hugs::