As we begin our celebration of Holy Week, we've tried to think of ways to make the story come alive for our little ones. So, yesterday Honour and I built an Easter hill out of homemade play dough. We stuck a small stick cross in the top and formed a tomb in the side. I need to get some chenille stick (pipe cleaner) to make figures so we can act out the events of Holy Week each day along with the lighting/extinguishing of our Lenten candles.
I baked the Easter hill after the children went to bed and this morning they were excited to see the finished product. To the adult eye, it is less than impressive - it looks like a severely malformed loaf of bread. But the children seemed happy with it.
After a few minutes of contemplation, Honour turned to me and said, "I saw in my Bible story book that God comes out of the tomb!" Of course, this statement pleased me, but I became rather concerned when he took the sticks for the cross and said, "I'm going to put these here so God can get out." I guess he thought he was building steps or some sort of a passageway out of the tomb. I proceeded to explain to him that Jesus was not actually in our little tomb, that it was just a symbol to help us remember what had happened. But his mind must have snagged on me saying "God is not in our tomb," because he responded with, "But Mom, God is everywhere!"
Huh. This is the response to the catechism question "Where is God?" On one hand, I was excited to see him using the knowledge he's gleaned from catechism. But obviously he needed more explanation.
So we proceeded with a 5-minute conversation about how God is so immense that he can't be contained in any space, like our little tomb, but rather he is everywhere all at once. I don't know that he actually grasped the magnitude of this thought - I'm not sure that I do either! But, I do think he understands that God is not actually in our little play dough tomb, which will suffice for now. :)
I hope this is the first of many theological discussions with my son.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
awww, this is really cute. Hope all is well with you, Jessica.
I really enjoy your blogs! Such a cute story and I loved the creativity to show your three year old what Christ did for us. (sorry about the deleted comment, I wanted to correct something :)
You are doing such a great job with your kiddos!
Ahh...out of the mouth of babes. I enjoy reading your blog and am now a follower.
Post a Comment