Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

The first day of 2009 passed uneventfully and calmly for the Ransom Mallery household. Our morning started early and was fairly normal, except that Honour and I did "school" for the first time, which consisted of a half-hour of drawing shapes and pictures, identifying colors and playing a matching game. He seemed to enjoy it and I think he knows what the color red is. :)

Mom Rickel invited us to have lunch with their family. I do enjoy spending time upstairs for many different reasons, one being that I can look out the windows and see the landscape. Basement living isn't very conducive to that activity. ;) We had a pleasant time visiting around the table, and then the children and I said our final goodbyes to James Throckmorton, the young man who has stayed with the Rickels the better part of December, as he returned to Pennsylvania today.

And, yes, it is time to officially confirm many of your suspicions: James came to court my sister Paige. On Christmas Day, Paige was told of James' intentions and within a few days had agreed to allow him to court her. This will be a very exciting as well as very serious time for them as they seek the Lord's will regarding their futures, and whether it would glorify him for their futures to be shared in marriage. Please pray for them during this special phase.

In the afternoon, Ransom and I enjoyed a quiet time of visiting while the children napped. What a treat to have my husband all to myself for a couple consecutive hours! We chatted about all manner of topics and played a round of Yahtzee.

When the children got up, we went to Grandpa Schmid's house for a delicious ham dinner shared with the Rickels and several friends from Grace Church. What a lovely ending to a restful day.

That said, how was everyone's Christmas? We spent Christmas Eve with the Ray Mallery family and Christmas Day with the Rickels. Both gatherings were beautiful and relaxing. It was fun seeing Honour really enjoy and somewhat understand the celebration this year. Of course, along with the usual festivities, we were also rejoicing in the anniversary of receiving the sweet gift of our first daughter (For those of you who don't know, Remember was born on Christmas Day, 2007.). Last Christmas was one of the most unique and memorable of our lives. Isn't God kind to us?

Speaking of Remember, here are the be-lated pictures of her dedication that I promised in my last post. Didn't Mom Mallery do an amazing job on the gown?!
What a sweet expression!

Here's a better picture of the entire gown. It's made of linen, so it didn't stay nice and pressed for very long, especially since Remember was not excited about getting changed into it! Mom Mallery sewed it and did all the beautiful embroidery work on it, and I crocheted the lace. In this picture, we're with Mom Rickel.

I love this picture. Here we're with Mom Mallery.


Dad Mallery asking Ransom and me questions and reading a blessing...



...before our church family (we meet in a small community library).

I had intended to include more pictures in this post, but they'll have to wait as it's getting late and I really want to take my pregnant belly to bed. :) Love to you all and Happy New Year!

By the way, all the pictures in this post were taken by my brother-in-law, Ridge, who's an aspiring photographer. Thanks Ridge!


5 comments:

Maureen Hinds said...

Hi Jessica...

It was fun catching up on your blog today. I'm recovering from surgery, so don't get much time *up* at the computer - but I also find myself not sleeping well because I'm *down* too much! Oh, the trouble! :)

Your holidays sound lovely - ours were wonderful as well - and not busy at all (that'll happen if you schedule surgery & recovery at the same time - lol).

I googled James Throckmorton to see if I could find him (he sounded familiar) - and I found a James Throckmorton with a facebook with 5 common 'friends' as I - so I'm wondering if it's the same James? Did he graduate from Dartmouth?

Anyhow - small world. I'll pray as the Lord brings them to mind.

How's your sweet Dad doing? Please give him and your mom my love next time you see them...

Jessica said...

Hi Maureen,

Yes, James did graduate from Dartmouth. He's a wonderful young man. My family has known his family for almost 13 years; we went to church together in CA.

Glad to hear you're recovering and that your holidays were nice. My dad is well, preparing to leave for Mayo in Rochester on the 7th for surgery on the 8th. Thank you so much for your prayers.

Anonymous said...

nice post Jess I know it's been a while but I still love you! :-)
hey congrates Paige that is so wonderful about you and James!
I'll be praying for you both!

Rem

Anonymous said...

Hey Jess...
Great post, sis. I'm glad you're back to blogging. I've really missed it. Thanks for mentioning James and my courtship. It is indeed, very exciting!! Thank you all for your prayers!
Thanks Rem, for the congrats! We are grateful to the Lord for all he has done.

Blessings,
Paige

Naomi T. said...

I was excited to see the update. :) Thanks for taking the time to do so.

I was so excited to hear about Paige's courtship. Congratulations, Paige! I am so happy for you and James. I hope and pray that it all works out for God's glory and that you will be very happy. :)

Loved the pictures, too. What a sweet dress you mother-in-law made. :)